Deja Vu Windows:
The Complete Installation Process
10th July 2020
Hi Leigh, Mick, Here’s some pictures of the whole process of installing the windows. The end result is pretty fantastic we think, especially when you compare the before and after shots. Putting them in was a big job, took about 9 working days over three and a half weeks allowing for weather and glue drying time. I’d hate to have paid someone to do it. As you will see from the photos we have a 12mm thick cabin top then a void then a 3-4mm liner so I first had to stabilise that by epoxying 6mm marine ply spacer in the void, which varied, to get it all a constant thickness. Then after considering our options for an infill spacer I figured buying a band saw from Bunnings and cutting my own timber infills was the best option. Really happy with that. We used ¾” self tappers as the infills were 8mm thick, 6G for a start but found some of them stripped the thread so I went for 8G when that happened, tightening them carefully with an electric driver drill on low torque setting. In fact where there is a bit of bend in the windows I think the 8G screws are an advantage. I used Tef-Gel paste to isolate the stainless screws from the aluminium frames. The Butyl tape was very easy to use and we will wait and see how it performs as the weather warms up but as far as I can see researching this on the net it seems this melting was a problem with early Butyl tapes only. Thanks again for these beautiful windows. Feel free to use any of the photos any way you wish. It’s a bit difficult to get clear shots of the windows but if I get any better ones I’ll send them on. Cheers, Peter and Janet.
Take a look at this recent transformation one of our clever ccustomers took on. This project included removing the old windows, reinforcing the structure, then installing the brand new ALFAB windows.
This wasn’t a simple swap out and wasn’t a quick job—it took full 9 working days over roughly 3 weeks to complete. This timeframe was to allow for changes in weather and glue drying and as you can see in the amazing before and after shots, this project was well worth the time and effort that went into it.
We’ve documented the entire installation process from start to finish below.
The boat window removal:
Removing the old faded windows was the first part of the process, exposing the surrounding of the old window. Being handy with tools and timber, the customer proceeded to stabilise the 12mm thick cabin top by epoxying 6mm marine ply spacer in the void, which varied, to get it all a constant thickness. Allowing also for a 3-4mm liner.
After considering their options for an infill spacer, our clients decided that buying a band saw from Bunnings and cutting timber infills was the best option. They used ¾” self tappers because the infills were 8mm thick.
The boat window installation:
Our clients started with 6G screws but found some of them stripped the thread so they changed 8G, tightening them carefully with an electric driver drill on a low torque setting.
Tef-Gel paste was used to isolate the stainless screws from the aluminium frames.
The Butyl tape was very easy to use and time will soon tell how it performs as the weather warms up.
Our clients were very happy with the end result and glad they put in the time and effort to complete the project themselves.
For all your marine glazing needs including boat windscreens and windows, our team will provide you with a high-quality finish and professional advice. Contact us today for an obligation-free quote.